[langsec-discuss] The State of LangSec: papers, upcoming meetings

Language-theoretic Security interest group langsec-discuss at lists.langsec.org
Thu May 10 20:54:02 UTC 2012

Welcome to the LangSec mailing list. <s>If you are not on this list, please
e-mail us to get on it!</s> If you know someone who might want to be on this
list, please pass this message along or direct them to http://langsec.org/.

1. Our article "A Patch for Postel's Robustness Principle" has been published
in the Mar/Apr 2012 IEEE Security and Privacy journal. You will find a
pre-publication draft in http://langsec.org/postel/ together with some
in http://langsec.org/papers/ is welcome.

2. Dr. Dan Geer mentioned LangSec in his keynote at SOURCE Boston 2012
(http://geer.tinho.net/geer.sourceboston.18iv12.txt) and at OWASP
AppSecDC (http://geer.tinho.net/geer.owasp.4iv12.txt).

3. We are embarking on a series of meetings and talks at hacker conferences to
collect and discuss various species of "weird machines" and their LangSec
classification of origins: http://langsec.org/beagle/ As Darwin's voyage aboard
the HMS Beagle ended up with a collection of weird animals that led him to the
origins of the species, so we aim to collect and exchange enough specimens of
weird machines to chart their common origins.

Berlinsides/PXE:
Talk to us at Berlinsides and PXE (http://berlinsides.org,
                                    http://ph-neutral.darklab.org/PXE.txt)

REcon:
Come to our LangSec Q&A meet-up/summit at REcon in Montreal on June 13th, noon,
place TBA. Please e-mail sergey AT cs.dartmouth.edu if you would like to attend
(we need a count of attendees to plan!)

Defcon:
Please let us know if you'd be interested in a LangSec meeting at Defcon.

4. Sometime this year, we are aiming for a dedicated workshop on LangSec and
weird machines, pending sufficient sponsor funds. Please contact us if you are
interested in either attending, or sponsoring, or both.

This and further announcements will be at http://langsec.org/news/