[langsec-discuss] Workshop

Michael E. Locasto locasto at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 6 20:38:27 UTC 2013

> What about running it as a BoF session during USENIX Security [0] ?
I'm sure you'd get plenty of support from USENIX, it's in Washington, DC
this year (hence roughly equidistant for Europe and US West Coast), and
as it's in August there's still ample time for planning the agenda.

> Just a thought...
>
> [0]: https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity13

my 0.02: nice suggestion, good venue and location.

>> We have some funding; anyone have any strong opinions about time,
>> place, or appropriate conferences to piggyback on (if that's
>> advisable)? Agenda? Topics? I have no idea what I'm doing here, this
>> just sounds like an idea whose time is overdue.

As for an agenda / topics, it may be useful to try to model it after the
early WEIS workshops in terms of outcomes.

http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/resources/affiliates/workshops/econsecurity/

Maybe not necessarily with formal paper submissions and sessions and all
the rest, but the outcome of those early workshops was basically an
articulation of the research agenda and major projects of an emerging
subfield. Perhaps it would be useful to lay out the landscape of
important projects or initiatives in langsec the same way.

I say this b/c an (academic) colleague of mine I pointed to langsec.org
got very excited, but then asked "so what practical work has been done
beyond the position papers?" Hammer is one answer, but I am willing to
bet there are more.

-Michael