[langsec-discuss] delimited base64 file specification

Grawrock, David david.grawrock at intel.com
Wed Mar 20 16:00:00 UTC 2013

On the compression side, I agree that we shouldn't really be too worried about the size and that the complexity is not worth the gain.

The argument doesn't hold on the integrity side. One of the points of delimited base64 is to avoid weird machines and other such gotcha's. Well having the data change is a big gotcha. Passing off integrity means that NOBODY can ever trust the file. It's what we have today. Few, if any, file formats include their integrity metrics. Now I admit a bit of a bias towards trusted solutions, but I think that it is critical to make this type of definition to include integrity checks.

At a minimum, there should be a provision to include an integrity check at the end. Result of a hash maybe? That would give those who care the ability to provision their files with checks that all can validate regardless of the transport or storage mechanism.

David Grawrock
Security Architect
503 264 3642