[langsec-discuss] LZO, subtle bugs, theorem provers

Robert Graham robert_david_graham at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 04:51:24 UTC 2014

That is, of course, what Microsoft ended up doing for its Office file format conversion utilities. After decades of being the most popular software, there exists a huge number of buggy files that none-the-less work with the existing code. The code couldn't follow the official file-format spec -- it had to be "bug complete" with the existing buffy files. The code has reached the state where it's untestable. Minor changes, no matter how benign, and no matter how well they pass the existing regression test, will result in some documents not converting properly. Thus, they sandbox the file conversion.

That shouldn't be a problem here. These file formats are standard with many implementations, so there's little need to be bug complete.

I'm not sure what you guys consider "major changes to the code". When you have a robust unit/regression test, then major refactorings of the code are fairly painless. You should therefore be able to make massive changes to a zlib/libtiff/libpng library to support verifiability, and be assured that your changes haven't broken the code. Conversely, one of these codebases doesn't have an extension unit/regression test that would support such refactoring, then that's a more urgent problem that needs to be fixed before making the code verifiable.