[langsec-discuss] metadata can de-anonymize 90% of payment card transactions

travis+ml-langsec at subspacefield.org travis+ml-langsec at subspacefield.org
Fri Feb 6 23:32:24 UTC 2015

Someone was asking on this list a few weeks ago about automatic
recognition of personally identifiable information.

Apparently not effective.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/metadata-can-expose-persons-identity-even-when-name-isnt-1422558349

	Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
	writing Thursday in the journal Science, analyzed anonymous
	credit-card transactions by 1.1 million people. Using a new
	analytic formula, they needed only four bits of information
	secondary metadata such as location timing or to identify the
	unique individual purchasing patterns of 90% of the people
	involved, even when the data were scrubbed of any names,
	account numbers or other obvious identifiers.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
Split a packed field and I am there; parse a line of text and you will find me.