[langsec-discuss] Is computation half the story?

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Fri Mar 27 12:41:38 UTC 2015

Perhaps I'm being naif here, or irrelevant, but it seems like
composition of properties leads immediately to behaviors far beyond
those inherent in any component, assuming the components aren't
already Turing machines.  At base, let's imagine a network of two very
simple types of machines, or gates, if you prefer.

The first type takes one input and return its opposite--we can call
those ones NOTs.  The second type takes two inputs and returns logical
AND, and for simplicity, we call those ANDs.

As you'll recall from digital logic, NAND is the only gate you need in
order to make anything you want.  The idea here is that if you can
combine even the simplest type of machine in sufficient quantity, you
can do just about anything you like.

What have I missed here?

Cheers,
David.