[langsec-discuss] Is computation half the story?

Scott Guthery sbg at acw.com
Fri Mar 27 14:31:52 UTC 2015

>>> The idea here is that if you can combine even the simplest type of
>>> machine in sufficient quantity, you can do just about anything you like.

Yes, indeed.  But a specific assembly of gates doesn’t do anything or
everything.  It does a particular thing.  You can make and prove assertions
about what the assembly does and does not do.  "This assembly of gates
produces the sum of any two 12-bit integers."  "This assembly of gates will
loop forever if given an input of 'ABC'."

We don't seek assertions of any possible assembly of gates, only a
particular assembly --- the one we're going to put in the ATM machine or the
implanted medical device.

All security is local, to adapt a phrase.

Cheers, Scott