[langsec-discuss] Is computation half the story?

zeroskillor zeroskillor at zeroskillor.org
Sat Apr 4 16:11:09 UTC 2015

Dear LangSec people,

first of all I have to admit that this is an interesting discussion with
a lot topics combined into one thread. I hope I understand the
conversation accordingly and can add some valuable information to it.
If the concerns are "just" security and so called threat modelling, then
I have to say that the questions which came up during the discussion are
reaching the boundaries of what we know today about our "world" and have
a bigger impact on how we model our universe and the systems we have. My
points are highly theoretical and philosophical.

1 ] -- The "Computational Ability" and "Informational Ability" Problem
The following citation is a way of "answering" a different problem but
maybe this a good analogy to your question of "Computational Ability"
and "Informational Ability". At the end your robot has the same problem
as a human being and so the old philosophical problem which called
"mind-body problem" occurs here too, I think:
"According to Searle then, there is no more a mind–body problem than
there is a macro–micro economics problem. They are different levels of
description of the same set of phenomena. [...] But Searle is careful to
maintain that the mental – the domain of qualitative experience and
understanding – is autonomous and has no counterpart on the microlevel;
any redescription of these macroscopic features amounts to a kind of
evisceration, ...[42]"
    —Joshua Rust, John Searle
This is my favorite answer to this question because the
boundaries/models are sometimes helpful but they are not able to give
you a complete picture of everything.

2 ] -- Some Theory for Computational Ability and Informational Ability
in a general sense:
There is the idea of digital physics maybe we are referring to these
ideas (un)- or intentionally in this discussion. One interesting
approach is written by Jürgen Schmidhuber and has the interesting title
"Algorithmic Theories of Everything"
For an introduction, I would recommend the following :
http://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/digitalphysics.html
and if you have a lot of time, I can recommend
"ALGORITHMIC THEORIES OF EVERYTHING"
http://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/toes.pdf

3 ] -- "Ultimate" Security
Regarding the security aspects, the ultimate security would be for me a
automaton using on the one hand formally proven code/parsers(input) and
on the other hand formally proven hardware which is only able to execute
the proven input. The connection between N systems should be organized
over a formally proven protocol. So there would be no space for wired
machines in this formal system.
But at the end we will find a way of exploiting these through unknown
side channels as we have seen in the past. We are behaving in a physical
world!

Thank you all for this interesting discussion. I hope you are not bored
about the long read.

All the best

flo aka zeroskillor

4096R/CB6E2AC2