[langsec-discuss] NASA's 10 Coding Commandments

Andrew Ruef munin at mimisbrunnr.net
Sun Jul 26 16:55:55 UTC 2015

MISRA-C is the longer version of this: http://www.misra-c.com/ <http://www.misra-c.com/>

If you can buy or find a copy, it goes into a lot of detail on how to make a C codebase conform. The MISRA standard seems to be about both minimizing surprise due to technical difficulties, like compiler and linker bugs / specification mis-matches, and also due to the sociological / organizational process of writing software.

It would be interesting to see how rules like this correlate with empirical data about bugs in software, but gathering that data is hard. We’re trying, though…