[langsec-discuss] The "grammar" approach...

Sven M. Hallberg pesco at khjk.org
Wed Feb 17 16:50:40 UTC 2016

Derick Winkworth <ccie15672 at gmail.com> writes:
> In this case, they went through the process of defining a grammar for an
> existing protocol.  This process might actually have another application in
> the realm of machine learning and language processing.

Interesting, could you elaborate? I would believe natural language
processing includes a lot of grammar construction; Meredith should be
able to tell.

> There isn't a lot of detail in the slides about this process.  Are there
> any links or references any of you could share?  Specifically on how to
> define a grammar or how to think about grammar with respect to a language
> or protocol?

I'm the author of that parser and the process was entirely manual: Take
fragmentary syntax descriptions from the spec, write grammatical
representations reflecting them, glue things together with appropriate
combinators.

Writing in more detail about the process is in fact on the top of my
LangSec todo list.

-Sven