[langsec-discuss] Ethereum cryptocurrency fundamentally unsound?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:55:28 UTC 2016

I blogged about this recently. Solidity is a LANGSEC failure, IMO,
specifically because it is Turing complete:

https://tonyarcieri.com/a-tale-of-two-cryptocurrencies

Particularly interesting, I think, is this paper describing how similar
problems come up in objcap systems and recursion:

https://ssrg.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Murray:phd.pdf

Bitcoin's scripting language was intentionally *not* Turing complete, and I
think that was a wise decision.

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> yes it is unsound. in some respects its worse than C / PDP11 style
> systems. but without the decades of investment in software assurance tools
> that still aren't where they should be
>

> please note that this is my professional/personal opinion as a PL /
> computer science researcher, and is strictly my opinion rather than
> official stance of any organizations i may or may not be affiliated with :)
>
> -Carter
>

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <
> nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net');>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question regarding the Ethereum cryptocurrency: If Ethereum
>> contracts (i.e. programs for the Ethereum virtual machine) can be turing
>> complete, does that mean that it is impossible to verify their behaviour
>> in general? It seems to me the foundations of Ethereum are not sound.
>>
>> For more Information, see: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethereum>
>>
>> Greetings,
>> --
>> Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann