[langsec-discuss] TJSON: Tagged JSON with Rich Types

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Nov 4 01:50:44 UTC 2016

On Nov 3, 2016, at 4:46 AM, Sven M. Hallberg <pesco at khjk.org> wrote:

> Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> on Wed, Nov 02 2016:
>>    {"dialpad:A<A<i>>": [["1","2","3"], ["4","5","6"], ["7","8","9]]}
>
> Now this looks definitely context-sensitive.

There is a lot of stuff that is between context-free and context-sensitive.

> One nested structure on the
> right of the ':' depending on another to the left. You can no longer get
> away with a grammar but you'll have all the fun of a type system.

I think that this can be addressed with what I think we used to call
“index grammars”. When it was convincingly shown that natural languages
contained constructions that could not be handled by CFGs, only a relatively
small increase in the power of the grammar was needed to handle that.

This is stuff that I studied in the mid 80s, and will have to look it up, but that
construction looks like it has the same sorts of formal properties as reduplication
in Bambara or the cross-serial dependencies in Swiss German.

I will try to look this stuff up later this evening or sometime tomorrow (Friday).

Cheers,

-j